First of all, thanks to the readers who liked our previous articles on Free Youtube Backgrounds, Mac Dashboard widgets for web designers and developers, Brand Naming Tips and Creative examples of credit card designs. Hope you will like our future articles too as much you had liked our previous ones. If you are with us in our journey, you already come to know that how much we are dedicated to design, development and everything related to it.
So, here I came again with one of the great design related article which will showcase some of the best Open Courseware classes on web design and development that will help you to learn about web design, web development, design related software and much more.
The main reason behind coming up with such open courseware classes collection is because I think it is one of the cheapest way to learn web design. Everyone don’t have enough money to join design universities or institutes but if someone has passion they can really take advantage of these online classes to learn and master various languages and aspects of web design.
These classes are offered by some of the top universities from all over the world and gives you detailed instructions all for free. Some of the great universities are the University of Washington, MIT, Indiana University and offeres great coursed on web design and development.
Just head over to your favorite course from the list below and I am sure you will learn a lot about web design/development from these free online classes. These classes have same course material that you might have in topnotch universities and you don’t have to pay any tuition fees. You can anytime open the course and learn according to your mood and at your own pace.
All these courses are best in their class and if you give proper time and dedication – you will able to design/develop you own websites or for your clients. So, if you too are excited enough to learn web design/development without spending any course fee. Have a look on DesignWorldVision’s collection of 15 excellent free open courseware classes on web design and development worth checking out.
1. Introduction to Web Design : A very detailed class conducted by Indiana University specially dedicated for those who want to learn basics of HTML to CSS and Multimedia design.
2. An introduction to E-commerce and distributed applications : A course conducted by The Open University that give you all knowledge about E-commerce platform, its applications and how they work.
This unit will look at typical application areas including the internet, supply chain management and online auctions. It will also help you to understand the underlying technologies used to implement e-commerce applications before looking at some of the problems that can be encountered when developing distributed e-commerce systems.
3. HTML Basics : This class is from University of Washington that covers basic structure of an HTML document, what HTML tags look like, the fundamental document structure, and basic tags found in nearly all HTML documents.
4. Web Design II – Sam Grant : This is a advanced course from Miami Dade College that will teach students in the Graphic Internet Technology degree a more comprehensive process of Web Page Design and Internet Architecture. It will continue to teach students the design process and how it functions.
Students will learn how to create complex commercial sites for the World Wide Web with a standard web creation application (Dreamweaver) and an image editing application (Fireworks), and combine those elements in an attractive and functional manner. This course will also expand student’s concepts of the practices and procedures for planning elaborate web sites. Pre-requisites: Graphic Interface Design One and Graphic Imaging One.
5. Internet and Copyright Law : A great course that takes you to deep ground of Copyright laws before you publish any information of the Internet. This class is for web masters that should check what all you need to know about before publishing any website on the Internet.
6. Computer Graphics : A very detailed class from Massachusetts Institute of Technology that will give you better understanding on learning visual design and how you can take full utilization of computer graphics on your websites.
7. Illustration I & II : Another great class from Miami Dade college that will help you to learn and use Adobe Illustrator to make your designs more functional and creative.
Students will learn to operate Adobe Illustrator CS2 proficiently. Class lectures will be supported with hands-on demos and audiovisual presentations. The lab portion of this class consists of a series of illustration assignments designed to highlight the features of the program.
8. People-centered Designing : Another class from The Open University that focuses firmly on usability and the increasingly important phenomenon of people-centered design. It aims to inform consumers of design (i.e., all of us) about this crucial characteristic of design.
9. Designing the User Interface : This is the most comprehensive class from The Open University that teaches you How Text, colors, effects, images and sounds interact properly to produce a user friendly environment to create a great user interface.
This unit will help you understand the effect each software component has on the user and explain how a consistent and thoughtful application of these components can have a significant impact on the ‘look’ of final product.
10. Software Engineering For Web Applications : A course from ADU that teaches basics of designing a dynamic web site with a database back end, including scripting languages, cookies, SQL, and HTML with the goal of building such a site as the main (group) project Emphasizes computer-human interface and the graphical display of information.
11. Web Page Authoring : A course offered by Sofia to give hands-on introduction on HTML language to create web pages which can be uploaded and displayed on the Word Wide Web. Principles of design and color as they apply to screen presentations will also be included in this course.
12. Introduction to Flash MX : Another course offered by Sofia that gives introduction to the Macromedia Flash multimedia authoring environment. It incorporates hands-on experience developing streaming web-based multimedia presentations including animation, sound, and graphics with Macromedia’s Flash MX application.
13. Introduction to Multimedia Programming : A course dedicated to information related to design, navigation and programming conducted by Monash University.
14. Creating Interactive Multimedia : A course offered by University of Southern Queensland that introduce students to some technologies, tools and techniques associated with the creation of interactive multimedia. The focus of the course will be on developing the capacity of professional educators to communicate effectively with professionals who contribute to the design and development of interactive multimedia.
Students will be introduced to the characteristics of the elements of multimedia and to some tools and techniques commonly used in creation of multimedia. They will develop skills for creating simple examples of interactive multimedia suitable for delivery within a web browser.
These are some of the best free open courseware classes for web designers and developers that will help them to master in web design, web developments and web applications development.